Capri, Italy

Capri, Italy

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sea Olympics!

The day before our arrival in Greece, July 12th, we had no classes in light of the 2009 Summer voyage Sea Olympics! Depending on where your cabin is located, the ship was divided into nine different seas. Our room, 3148, is part of the Baltic Sea.

Our Sea got together to prep for the Olympics the night before. And… our LLC got us a ½ sheet ice cream cake to enjoy! It was absolutely delicious… Kate and I devoured our pieces and rushed back for seconds. Besides eating, we accomplished a lot. Our sea decided on some important things, such as our mascot and chant. We chose to be the baboons…don’t ask me why…and our banner for our sea turned out to be kick ass: complete with Rafiki from the Lion King! Also, each Sea was assigned a different color, and ours was teal (or teal and white). Anthony’s Sea was the Adriatic I believe… and they were pink. He somehow ended up being one of their sea captains, and I think he had a great time…I know I did as:

The day was a blast. It started after lunch with an opening ceremony in the Union in which each Sea introduced themselves, the Sea Captains ran around with a fake Olympic torch, the rules were set, and everyone got pumped! The competition was on! The whole shipboard went all out for the Olympics…and the energy throughout the ship was electric. Everyone was in great spirits.

Throughout the afternoon, there were a total of about ten events. I took part in one of the first ones, which was Pictionary. Each round lasted 2 minutes, and 2 teams raced each other at once. Our team won the first two rounds we played, but eventually the Baltic Sea was defeated. I did draw a pretty impressive parking ticket and UFO though. I also took part in the relay race, where in my role I had to win four games of rock paper scissors against the judges. In another event, Eric (who lives a few cabins down from me) did a phenomenal drag-queen type lip-syncing show to nab first place in that competition. He sang, “When I think about you, I touch myself”. Even though the Baltic Sea rocked the boat in that area… it sadly was not enough. We still lost the Olympics. We didn’t even get the Bronze! I think we came in 5th or 6th place…can’t remember. But drum roll…the winning sea was: the Yellow Sea … and not only do they have bragging rights for the remainder of the voyage, but they are the first ones allowed off the ship in Norfolk. I wanted to be able to do that so badly so I could get breakfast with my parents!

After the Olympics… the crew hosted a BBQ for us all out on Deck 7. I was super excited for a hamburger or hot dog, but it ended up being grilled steaks and jerk chicken. It was still a nice change…and a good way to end a great day.

Later on that evening… to help get ourselves pumped up for Greece…we watched Mamma Mia! Watching the breathtaking scenery in the film, and knowing I would be there shortly experiencing it with my own eyes only made my anticipation grow!

Love,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment