Capri, Italy

Capri, Italy

Friday, June 19, 2009

Crossing the Atlantic...

It’s that time again… time for another update! I really enjoy blogging so far, although it is hard to find times to do it. It’s always “should I work on my blog… or try and NAP?! Well, lately sleep has been winning, but I do want to document everything about this exciting experience that I know I have to make some changes! So, I will just try to write as fast I can… so there will probably be lots of typos! Sorry! And… I am getting a little frustrated that Anthony seems to be writing these AMAZING blogs in like no time, and he writes them a few times a day! He is on top of things! I’m tempted to just copy and paste things from his and post them on mine… but I’m not sure how much he’d like that haha. Plus I like his writing so much better… I asked him to try to coach me today on blog writing… so we’ll see if I paid attention…

But oh man, we have been losing an hour everyday! These 23-hour days with constant ROCKING has been a little rough on everyone, but no worries… we will all have 25-hour days on the way home! I also got to lie down and take a little bit of a nap today after lunch… It felt oh so good. The rocking sometimes definitely helps me a little… or I’m just that tired. But anyways, we have a curtain that we can pull down over or window that I recently found out about so it makes our cabin super dark at anytime of the day! Now I’m not so jealous of those inside cabiners!

This morning Anthony and I woke up at 7:30 am to attempt to sign up for a fourth class. I really wanted to get into acting, but it was closed out. So I waited around and was all ready to sign up for this global education class, but the registrar talked me out of it. Basically, SAS discourages everyone from taking 12 credits because it is just so much work, and they don’t want the extra course to take away from port time, or the whole experience… so oh well… only three classes for me! So… what does this mean? My naps during my afternoon break will just have to continue. YAY!

Tonight and tomorrow I have to work perimeter control up on deck #7 from 9 until 11:15. I am in charge of making sure NO alcohol walks away! Not so excited about that, especially since today is raining, but I am fortunate for the work-study and is a small price to pay for what it provided me!

Anthony sent me all of his blogs last night via e-mail so I could read them and not take up my Internet time. And I thought he said this perfectly and that it applied to me as well, so I am just going to “borrow” it… hope you don’t mind Ant!
”And my business class about the European Union is perhaps my favorite. The professor is witty and interesting and the course is about the different life styles of the Europeans and the creation and foundation of this new governing system called the European Union. (I say new but it has been in the works for decades). He gave us a Wall Street article today which talked about how Europeans are allowed 35 sick days, and on average workers took 11.5 sick days throughout the year. Americans only take about 4.5. What!? That’s some crazy stuff. Maybe we should move to Europe?” … A definite possibility if only my family and friends were with me!

So a little SAS secret that we are finding out… behind the pictures that are hung in every cabin, past voyagers leave tips and give advice for those that are currently sailing. The pictures are pretty huge, and sometimes hard to get down, and SAS is trying to stop kids from doing it as some pictures break trying to get them off of the wall. We can’t get the picture in my direct room off… which is sad, but we were able to read Kate and Candace’s. I just read the back of Anthony’s, in room 4043… and it was extremely sad. We found out that his room was occupied in the of fall 2008 by the student who was tragically killed by a drunk driver while exploring China 70 days into the voyage. His roommate left us this information, and left us good advice. But reading it just put everyone in the room into a very gloomy and sad mood… It is so tragic, unfair, and unfortunate… and I just worry, worry, and worry. I pray for safe travels for all on this voyage and future ones as well.

Common things left by other SAS’s include:
The food sucks, don’t eat potato’s every meal or you will gain a ton! (So far… all I have ate is pasta, potatoes, and bread, because that’s all they have! … NOT going to be good!) I should have listened to my mother and packed more balance bars! But… they do sell them on the ship surprisingly! And… guess what? … they are only $2.50 EACH! I for sure will be stocking up on those… just kidding.

Many students also said to try and work out everyday or you will regret it… yea, I guess I am going to regret it. I pretty much get zero physical activity and I can’t imagine trying to run with the ship rocking as it is! Hopefully walking around the ports will be plenty… & I’ll just go full force when I get home.

I met another girl, Becca, who is really nice. She, along with Kevin and Bo, just booked a night at the Oasis in Seville, Spain on the 25th when Anthony, Sarah, and I go there as well. So it should be a good time!

Today was also the last day to sign up for the rest of the field programs, a.k.a. SAS trips. I signed up for four more… 2 in Greece and 2 in Turkey. A group of us signed up for the same ones, we just have all get into them! In Greece, I signed up for a Sights of Athens and the Acropolis tour, as well as a day in Delphi. The Delphi trip has a 40-person max, and I know a lot of people wanted to do that… so I’m not sure if it will work out. In Turkey, I signed up for a trip that goes to the largest and most famous island of the Prince’s Isles, Buyukada. It includes a horse-driven coach ride around the island, and time to explore. It is on the Asian side of Turkey… so I can say I have been to Asia! Lastly, we all signed up for a hike. I’m a little nervous about hiking, but hopefully all will go well, and it should be a good time with everyone going. It is through Ballikaya, again on the Asia side, and it is considered the practice area for Turkish mountaineers. It is a plateau area deeply cut by a stream, which has produced deep canyons and waterfalls. The entire area is also covered by forests, orchards and vineyards. I’ll let you all know if I get into them!

Tonight an inter-port lecturer is speaking in the Union at 8 about some aspects of Spanish life. I think tonight they discuss a little bit of their food… so I am so there. You know me!

Countdown: 5 days until our 1st port of Cadiz & 1 week until my 21st birthday!!

Until next time, lots of love!

-Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment